Friday, January 16, 2009

Miscellaneous Items - 1/16/09

Gilberton Creek. There is water flowing in Gilberton Creek from the new culvert to Puget Sound. Most of it appears to be from groundwater flow that is piped to two vertical concrete pipes upstream of the culvert.

Gilberton Creek Bank Washouts. We were surprised to see the washout areas from a moderate rainfall. The first photo is looking toward the culvert inlet and it taken from upstream. The second and third photos are looking back toward the culvert outlet and at the plastic cover that has been placed over the roadway bank washout area.

Gilberton Creek Restoration. A grant has been applied for to restore Gilberton Creek. We are waiting to find out if the Great Peninsula Conservancy (GPC) is successful in obtaining the grant. They were supposed to know by January 2nd, but an email to them this week indicated they had not received any confirmation. We found out about the grant when the GPC put out a position announcement to hire a "Gilberton Creek Community Restoration Project Coordinator." Applications are to be in by 1/16/09 and are dependent upon the receipt of grant funding.

Illahee Creek. The report from Illahee Creek is little change was noticed from the last snow and rain events. It was noted however that sediment has nearly filled the area excavated by the county in the fall.

Illahee Preserve Parking Lot. Work should begin the next week on the new Preserve parking lot along Almira. We will try to get some photos.

Last Weeks Preserve Work Party. If anyone drove along Riddell Road by the Preserve last Saturday morning they were aware of a large Rotarian Work Party, along with some Illahee residents, working on trails within the preserve. Lots of wood chips were moved in the area along Thompson Lane, and a new trail was established. Some are probably aware that Thompson Lane serves about 14 home sites in the center of the Preserve area. One of the Rotarians stayed late to finish up some work and had his car sideswiped as it was parked along Thompson Lane. We have included his writeup of the event.

I suppose I should let you know about an unfortunate incidence which occurred after our work party at Illahee Forest Preserve last Saturday. I went back down to our trail project to do some additional sculpting and packing of the fill materials along the trail where East Bremerton Rotary and other volunteers had earlier been working. I took my car because it had my tools, plus it was a lot quicker to drive than walk from the Riddell Road parking lot. As I've done so many times during dozens and dozens of work sessions in Illahee Forest, I parked my car along the driveway. There was a wide spot in the driveway which allowed my car to be well off the road. From there I joined Lori Raymaker and Jim Aho to walk over to the proposed parking lot area along Almira Drive. When I got back an hour later someone had done a surgical sideswipe of my car. The ground was wet and soft so you could see where someone had swerved way over to hit my car. They targeted the driver's rear view mirror. Bingo! They just nicked the trim on my side. I think I'll be able to clean it up. However the mirror is beat up. I'll need to replace it.

I thought others would want to know.

Dates to Save. Please save the evening of January 29th for a presentation of the final Parametrix report on Illahee Creek issues. We are also planning to have an overview of the approved Illahee Community Plan. On February 14th the Illahee Community Club will meet at the Sylvan Way Library at 1:30 pm. We will provide more information on these meetings later.

Jim Aho

No comments:

Post a Comment