Thursday, April 16, 2009

Miscellaneous Items - 4/16/09

Illahee Car Prowling.  A reminder that there are car prowlers around.  We highlighted Terry's last sentence as it is a good reminder that Illahee is not immune to problems.  See the following:
 
You may want to send a reminder out to the community to be diligent in their efforts to keep their homes secure.  I live on the Rest Place off Roosevelt.  On Thursday night, I had a GPS unit and a few CDs stolen out of my truck.  I had planned on taking my daughter to Girl Scouts that night so didn’t lock my truck.  Ended up my wife took her so I didn’t get back to my truck.  Anyway, when I came out in the morning, I found my center console opened and my notebook lying on my seat.  The  GPS unit and CDs were gone. They didn’t bother with my baseball glove or umbrella so they were selective about what they took. 

My guess is that either it was a kid, or just someone walking the road at night that looks for open vehicles.  Even though we think our community is safe, there are those out there that shake up our lives and remind us that we are not a secure as we hope.
 
Timbers Edge Post Cards.  The county sent out about 600 post cards to "persons of record" noting that the Timbers Edge project was "approved with conditions."  Most of those receiving the cards had signed petitions opposing the development, which is why the number was so high.
 
Decision on the County Website.  The post card went on to say the "Decision" could be viewed at the county website which was given as:  www.kitsapgov.com/dcd/he.  Many had problems locating the decision and tried to use the Application Numbers given on the Notice.  The decision was down on the list and was noted as "Case 080828-068."  They certainly don't make it easy to find the decision, much less to read and understand it on a computer monitor. 
 
Non-Computer Users.  There are a number of people who do not have access to computers or the internet and have been unable to access the decision.  We have suggested they call the county for paper copies.  We don't know what the county response has been.
 
Appeal to be Filed.  The Illahee Community Club will be filing an appeal to the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) on behalf of Illahee residents, which now has a new deadline of April 24, 2009.  They are collecting money to pay for the appeal and would appreciate any help residents can provide. 
 
Bird Reports.  The American Wigeon (ducks) left the area in late March and early April.  The ravens have been seen venturing toward the shoreline area, but they only stay a short while as the crows, that seem to be concentrated along the shoreline, create quite a raucous when they see them, and seem to chase them away.
 
Deer Reports.  Not many deer reports coming in, but that should change soon as the local gardeners start planting their gardens and the deer discover them.  And as soon as we wrote the above we had the attached photo emailed to us.
 
Jim Aho

No comments:

Post a Comment