Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wildlife Update - 7/18/08

Bald Eagle Gets Canada Goose. On Thursday (7/17/08) residents north of the Illahee Community dock heard a loud commotion at the beach as a Bald Eagle went after a Canada goose. The goose lost the battle and ended up being food for two mature bald eagles. A very large brown eagle, either an immature bald eagle or as someone thought, a golden eagle, came by to look over the situation and was aggressively chased away by one of the mature bald eagles. We took a picture of the carcus of the goose which was well picked over. It is attached so as to verify the event. We have seen bald eagle take Great Blue Herons, but this is a first for seeing them take on a Canada goose. It is no wonder that the Canada geese seem apprehensive when they swim by a bald eagle up in a tree.

White Pigeons or Doves? Over the years Illahee residents have observed varying numbers of white pigeons or doves. Some of the residents remember seeing first a pair of the white birds, and then a few years later up to about 10 or more. Then, nothing until recently when the following report came through this week. If you have any information on these pure white birds please let us know and we will pass the information on. We have attached one of Al's photos.



You often send out wildlife sightings in these updates, and well... I'm trying to solve a little mystery. A couple years ago I noticed a group of fairly large white birds settling a the top of one of the tall fir trees (always the same one) near the shore. From my home near Ocean View & Madrona the tree is ENE.

The birds showed up 2 years ago and stayed through most of August. I didn't see them last year, but this year they have stopped and stayed perched in the tree a few times. Sometimes staying for a few minutes, sometimes hours. This year there are 7 of them... I think there were a few more two years ago.

I'm not a birder by any means, but I'd never seen any birds like this in the NW and I wondered what they were. I took some pictures and movies through my telescope and sent them to a birder I know. He thinks they are a non-native variety of Dove not native to North America, but is not sure. He wonders if maybe someone is raising them or if they're escapees.

I'm wondering if there is a local birder in the community that may have also noticed the birds, or may know what they are? Is there some way you could help me solve the puzzle?

Here's a couple pictures (not great I know, but not bad for a webcam and telescope at over a hundred yards).

Thanks for any help or ideas,

No comments:

Post a Comment